Union of Equality / #DiversityCapitals
The European Capitals of Inclusion and Diversity Award recognises the work done by cities, towns, or regions in Europe to promote inclusion and create discrimination-free societies.
It is open for local authorities to apply and is a chance to show the world what these ‘capitals of inclusion’ are doing to create more diverse and inclusive spaces for their citizens.
Who can apply?
The competition is open for local authorities such as cities, towns or regions in the EU. The applications must be made by an official representative.
Applicants will be asked to provide a description of key initiatives promoting diversity and inclusion.
Initiatives that comprehensively address different grounds of discrimination (in particular, sex, age, disability, ethnic/racial origin, religion and sexual orientation/gender identity and gender expression) and demonstrate an intersectional approach will be an asset.
For more details see the Rules of the Competition
How to apply?
- Applicants must create a profile and apply via the online application form.
- Please complete all sections of the online application form and submit it by 15 February 2024, 12:00 CET.
- Applications can be completed in any of the official languages of the EU. They will be translated into English using an automated translator. Where possible, applicants are encouraged to submit their project proposal in English to facilitate the handling of the proposals.
- Applicants can also upload or provide a link to a 10-slide PowerPoint presentation to illustrate their application.
- Applicants must attach a Declaration of honour (Annex III) signed by the Mayor or the highest-ranking representative, authorised by national law to legally represent the town/city/region.
See the Guidance Note for details on the application process.
Applications closed. Thank you to all those who applied.
Opening of the applications process
6 December 2023
Closing of the applications process
15 February 2024 12:00 CET
Evaluation by independent experts
Evaluation by European Juries (General competition and Specific award for local authorities enabling safe towns, cities and regions for women in all their diversity, by addressing violence against women)
Information to applicants
Ceremony for the European Capitals of Inclusion and Diversity Awards 2024
25 April 2024